Sunday, July 26, 2015

Dismantling of kiln for repair

Ugh...I've been really upbeat about this whole catastrophe until today. Tearing down what you just built isn't fun. In fact, it's pretty depressing. :(


numbered all the arch soft IFB and removed them in order. Peeled off the fiber blanket layer and numbered all the arch hard brick.


When I tried to fit in my old arch support that I used to build the hard fire brick arch I couldn't fit it in because of all the expanded and melted brick. I don't want the arch brick ruined by dropping them (they were a different batch of bricks and are in great condition) so I filled the kiln with old towels to provide cushion and tried dropping it in rows. It worked with no brick damage. 


Everything is then stacked in order off to the side. I'll keep them covered with a tarp until they are reinstalled.





Here's a few more pictures of the damaged brick that will all be replaced. 



The rear wall is so interlocked with the chimney that I think it will be my hardest, but, at least I have started and I am well on my way to fixing my kiln. 




The rear burner port was the biggest fail as it was occluding the burner port during the firing. What a mess!!!




Still hoping not to remove any ironwork. The damaged brick is very brittle and needs to be hammered to break off. It splinters and sends glass-like slivers or rocky chunks flying. I just might have a few cuts and scratches when I'm done! Will update again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment