Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Silicon Carbide shelves

I picked up some silicon carbide shelves a couple weeks ago that were advertised on Potter's Attic facebook site and happen to be located just a couple hour drive away. $200 for 8 shelves in the size I need and about another 6-8 shelves worth of pieces.



I attacked the shelves with a diamond cup on an angle grinder. Yes, I wore respirator, gloves, and eye protection. Good thing I did too as I was covered in dust and grime by the time I was done. I also wore the cup down to nothing. :) But look how much prettier they look!


I also trimmed up the broken shelves with the wet tile saw which cut a beautiful straight line. (Didn't take any pics of those though.) Need to research the shelves. All I know is that they were used in a gas kiln for 10 years over 20 years ago. They have some convenient info imprinted on the ends that should help.



No comments:

Post a Comment