Thursday, May 28, 2015

Loading the new kiln while hubby puts up roof framework

I started mixing glazes, washes, and preparing the work for loading. It took much longer than I expected to get everything done. Used a Malcolm shino glaze without redart, a wash, a liner glaze and an accent glaze. I tried to keep a lot of the pots bare as I really want to see the soda flashing etc. the wadding was 50/50 alumina hydrate and EPK.



Most of the pieces were practice pieces I made at a workshop since I figured my first firing will be rough.
They were loaded into the kiln. It was a loosely packed partial load. I remembered to place wadding on all the pots and kiln posts.



I opted not to kiln wash my shelves. Not sure that is a good choice but I'll try it this way. Added in my test rings and a couple of cone packs.
Saturday evening we fired up the kiln, crossed our fingers, and had a beer. It ran all night on less than one psi and slowly climbed as we hoped!


As I was loading the kiln, Russ and my boys built the framework for a metal roof to protect the kiln. Firing has started and the nail biting begins...





No comments:

Post a Comment