Friday, May 8, 2015

IFB arch is up! and some more iron support

I opted to add a layer of 1" ceramic fiber over the hard brick arch to help seal up any leaks (and because I already have some to spare). Thank you soda fire Facebook buddies for all the advice.


Next went the IFB arch. I had to cut them down as the key shape made too straight of an arch. ;( With some finagling, I was able to cut some and use about half "as is". :) I did no fancy calculation and just eyeballed them. It is a short arch so I was able to hold them up and formed the sprung arch over the ceramic fiber without compressing it. It actually sits about 1/8" above the fiber blanket.



It took a few days of cutting and fitting but the arch is up! We ran a double layer of angle iron across the top of the door and welded into the side supports.




I used IFB to fill it in. Better explained by the pictures. This way the arch has plenty of support and it will be an easy stacking for the door. Because of the angle iron I ended up with a small gap at the front of the arch. I added a little ceramic fiber blanket covered by tin foil to fill in the sliver.



Finally a stack of hard brick to support and close it all up. Everything seems tight and well supported but I won't know how I did until the kiln is running. :)

Hubby also built a support for the burners with holes to adjust the placement.







Look at the pics and you can see where all the ironwork was welded. Some supports were just to be extra cautious and reinforce and others were to correct my sub-standard brickwork. :)The top angle work is temporary and will be trimmed off. The chimney needs another 4 feet added and the ironwork on the chimney needs to be welded on.
But...the brickwork (except the chimney) is finished!!! I kept all my fingers too!!! (That tile saw is quite the hazard!) Lol! Sooo excited!



No comments:

Post a Comment